SUMAssure is the only insurance program in Saskatchewan that is fully owned and governed by urban municipal subscribers. Because we are owned and governed by our subscribers, there is no insurance program, carrier or broker more local than SUMAssure. We provide advantages that traditional insurance simply cannot match. In fact, we have led the way in expanding the list of covered risks and perils.
- SUMAssure serves only one sector: urban municipalities. No residential, commercial, or auto insurance here.
- This single focus helps us serve the sector best, and without restrictions.
- All seven directors serving on the Management Board are actively engaged with hometowns, either as municipal Council members or as administration. They know municipal operations!
Ownership and Control
- SUMAssure is a non-profit company owned by its subscribing municipalities (204 and counting), and managed by our own
- Your own Management Board gives subscribers a say in how SUMAssure is operated, and can make improvements to save subscribers even more.
- All board members are municipal officials or administration from subscribing municipalities.
Superior Claim Handling
- We specialize in insurance for municipalities, so we can handle claims faster and more easily than traditional insurance providers.
- Our subscribers’ interests are our only focus.
- Our knowledge of The Municipalities Act and The Cities Act gives us an unmatched ability to defend our subscribers, especially from frivolous nuisance claims. We know the case law as it relates to municipal liability.
- SUMAssure subscribers are owners who get outstanding customer service because we listen and customize services to meet your needs.
- With our roots in urban municipal government, SUMAssure understands that our subscribers need stable and cost-effective insurance coverage.
- Our program is designed to keep rates as stable as possible, so our subscribers can budget properly and be good stewards of municipal tax dollars. When premiums are higher than claims, we can use the excess revenues to keep rates lower in future years.
- While traditional insurance rates have gone up, SUMAssure subscribers paid an average of 7 per cent less in 2018 than they did in 2014.
- As a non-profit, SUMAssure is not subject to federal or provincial income taxes.
- SUMAssure is designed specifically for urban municipalities and customizes our wording to get the best coverage for subscribers.
- We have broader policy wording than traditional insurance and—more importantly—fewer exclusions.
- We only represent urban municipalities, so we understand your everyday operations and tailor insurance coverage to meet your needs.
- SUMAssure covers smaller claims within the program, with bigger claims covered by excess insurance, but the premiums stay within the program. This helps build equity for members.
- Subscribing municipalities share in the excess revenues (AKA profits) of the programs as it grows.
- Equity varies between members, depending on community size, values insured, program participation, and premiums paid.
- The equity in the program is used to fund initiatives for subscribers:
- Community investment, returning funds to subscribers
- Premium stabilization, keeping rates stable, even when the market fluctuates
- Managing the reciprocal pool, because a bigger pool helps us handle more claims internally and provides long-term stability
- Risk-management initiatives and risk-control services
- SUMAssure’s philosophy is to try to prevent losses, rather than just collect premiums and pay claims.
- As a subscriber, you have free access to risk-management initiatives, communication, and training to help you identify and avoid risks before they become a claim.
- Risk-control measures benefit all subscribers by reducing the group’s risk, and providing better information that allows SUMAssure to get the best insurance at the best price for subscribers.
- Through our partners at DAS Canada, SUMAssure subscribers have access to general legal advice at any time.
- The legal expense insurance policy protects subscribers from costly legal expenses and empowers you to defend or pursue your legal rights.